How are Committees are Chosen
The Association’s Committees are work groups established by the Board of Directors that serve as an advisory group and are selected from a slate of volunteers. The Association’s Committees are comprised of individuals with pertinent skills, knowledge and expertise, selected by the Chairperson.
- The Chair of the Committee presents the Committee’s final report to the Board of Directors via the Executive Director or the Commitee Chair, recommendations are presented to the Board of Directors, (no decisions are made by a Committee, since it is the role of the Board of Directors to make the final decision.)
- Committee members are approved at the first Board meeting after each AGM.
- All committees end when work is completed
1. FINANCE COMMITTEE (Standing Committee)
Lisa Silliker (Committee Chair)
Angela Burns (Director)
Pat Twast (Board Chair)
Dana Sharkey (Executive Director)
Gail Slaunwhite (Finance)
2. HR COMMITTEE (Standing Committee)
Tanya Baker (Commitee Chair)
Pat Twast (Board Chair)
3. DISCIPLINE COMMITTEE - Active
4. REVIEW COMMITTEE - Active
5. NATURAL TEXTURED HAIR COMMITTEE (Current members, unless otherwise noted)
Tracey Crawley - (Co-Chair - Board Director)
7. CLINICAL ESTHETICS COMMITTEE (Current members, unless otherwise noted)
NOTE: At the AGM in 2022, a motion to approve clinical licence catagories will be addressed.
Christine Johnson - MacInnis - Master Cosmetology Instructor Esthetics
Karen Matthews - Master Cosmetology Instructor Esthetics
Lurinda Swanepoel - Master Cosmetology Instructor Esthetics
Tracy Samson - Master Cosmetology Instructor Esthetics(Chair)
Debby Pelly - Master Cosmetology Instructor Esthetics
Cheryl Butler Berkeley - Master Cosmetologist Esthetics
Kerry Houweling - Master Cosmetology Instructor Esthetics
Tiffany Giaretta - Master Cosmetology Instructor Esthetics
Lisa Silliker - Master Cosmetology Instructor Esthetics
Julie-Anne Des Roches - Master Cosmetology Esthetics
TAC COMMITTEE (Trade Advisory Committee - NS Apprenticeship Agency)
Jon MacNeil (Chair) - Cape Breton
Tanya Baker - HRM
Tracey Crawley - HRM
Iris Harnish - South Shore
Dana Sharkey - Cosmetology Association
Lisa Silliker - New Minus
In 2021 - The partnership continues with a 2nd Apprenticeship Hairstylist pilot program. https://www.nscosmetology.ca/students/apprenticeship-pilot
Registration is open until March 31, 2021.
In 2016, the Cosmetology Association formed a partnership with the Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency. Subsequently, a Hairstylist Apprenticeship TAC was formed in 2017, with the Hairstylist Apprenticeship pilot project beginning in March 2018. The program will continue until 2020 (the program is now closed to new apprentices). There are 8 apprentices working towards certification in 8 salons through the two-year period.
Click here for more information.