Provincial Exam Information
Provincial Exam Notifications are forwarded to participants via regular mail at least thirty (30) days prior to a scheduled exam date.
(Please contact the Provincial Exam Coordinator at (902) 468-6477, ext: 202 with any changes to your mailing address to ensure you receive your exam notification in a timely manner.)
Participants are required to present photo id to the Cosmetology Association's Examiner(s) at the time of registration for a provincial.
Provincial Exam Information
Along with your Provincial Exam Notification, you will receive the examination guide providing you with the following information listed below:
- Exam time/schedule
- Practical examination phases
- Written examination information
- People/items not permitted in the exam area
- Model/mannequin information (model must be at least 18 years of age)
- Professional appearance and behaviour
- Tools (Note: Not all tools may be listed. It is recommended that you read through each phase once received to ensure you have everything you require for your practical.)
Additional information to know prior to attending your exam:
- It is recommended to bring snacks/lunch and a drink for you and your model for lunch and break times.
- Examiners will provide an overview for the day, including bathroom and smoking area, and fire escape route prior to the start of the exam.
- NO BORROWING is permitted during the exam; failure to bring the required tools or supplies will result in failure of the phase the participant is not prepared for.
- Although exam times are listed below, scheduled times may vary throughout exam day.
- Participants will be stopped at each allotted time limit and their work evaluated.
- Failure to follow all directions could result in disqualification from the exam.
When will I receive my exam results?
Results are forwarded to participants via regular mail within thirty (30) days following the exam date. Results WILL NOT be discussed by telephone.
What do I need as a passing mark?
The pass mark for all phases is 70%. In the event of exam failure, the participant must contact the Cosmetology Association's Provincial Exam Coordinator (902) 468-6477, ext: 202 to schedule a new exam date and pay the required re-examination fee in accordance with Schedule B of the Association's By-laws.
NOTE: A participant may only challenge the provincial exam a maximum of three (3) times.
For additional questions regarding your provincial examination, please contact Provincial Exam Coordinator, Jill Gallagher by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (902) 468-6477, ext: 202.
Failure to Attend Provincial Examination
Failure to attend examinations for reasons other than medical will result in a re-examination fee (as per Schedule B of the By-laws) being charged to your account. You must provide the Cosmetology Association a doctor's note validating the medical excuse within 15 days following the scheduled exam date.
Also note: a Temporary Licence (Graduate) is no longer valid when you fail to attend. A new Temporary Licence (Graduate) will be issued when you have registered for re-examination and paid the re-examination fee as per Schedule B of the Association's By-laws. A Temporary licence will only be issued for up to a maximum of three (3) times per individual.