Provincial Exam Information
Provincial Exam Notifications are forwarded to participants via regular mail at least thirty (30) days prior to a scheduled exam date.
(Please contact the Provincial Exam Coordinator at (902) 468-6477, ext: 202 with any changes to your mailing and email addresses to ensure you receive your exam notification in a timely manner.)
Participants are required to present photo id to the Cosmetology Association's Examiner(s) at the time of registration for a provincial.
Provincial Exam Information
Along with your Provincial Exam Notification, you will receive the examination guide providing you with the following information listed below:
- Exam time/schedule
- Practical examination phases
- Written examination information
- People/items not permitted in the exam area
- Model/mannequin information (model must be at least 18 years of age)
- Professional appearance and behaviour
- Tools (Note: Not all tools may be listed. It is recommended that you read through each phase once received to ensure you have everything you require for your practical.)
- Safety procedures
Additional information to know prior to attending your exam:
- It is recommended to bring snacks/lunch and a drink for you and your model for lunch and break times.
- Examiners will provide an overview for the day, including bathroom and smoking area, and fire escape route prior to the start of the exam.
- NO BORROWING is permitted during the exam; failure to bring the required tools or supplies will result in failure of the phase the participant is not prepared for.
- Although exam times are listed below, scheduled times may vary throughout exam day.
- Participants will be stopped at each allotted time limit and their work evaluated.
- Failure to follow all directions could result in disqualification from the exam.
When will I receive my exam results?
Results are forwarded to participants via regular mail within thirty (30) days following the exam date. Results WILL NOT be discussed by telephone.
What do I need as a passing mark?
The pass mark for all phases is 70%. In the event of exam failure, the participant must contact the Cosmetology Association's Provincial Exam Coordinator (902) 468-6477, ext: 202 to schedule a new exam date and pay the required re-examination fee in accordance with Schedule B of the Association's By-laws.
NOTE: A participant may only challenge the provincial exam a maximum of three (3) times.
For additional questions regarding your provincial examination, please contact Provincial Exam Coordinator, Jill Gallagher by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (902) 468-6477, ext: 202.
Failure to Attend Provincial Examination
Failure to attend examinations for reasons other than medical (or other extreme circumstances with evidence) will result in a re-examination fee (as per Schedule B of the By-laws) being charged to your account. You must provide the Cosmetology Association a physician's note validating the medical excuse within 15 days following the scheduled exam date.
The Executive Director may from time to time review individual circumstances and make a decision for extenuating circumstancees to allow the examination participant to start late or to reschedule the exam at a reduced fee or at no extra charge (extenuating circumstances include, but are not limited to family emergencies, death, illness, and storms.)
Also note: a Temporary Licence (Graduate) is no longer valid when you fail to attend. A new Temporary Licence (Graduate) will be issued when you have registered for re-examination and paid the re-examination fee as per Schedule B of the Association's By-laws. A Temporary licence will only be issued for up to a maximum of three (3) times per individual.