All Cosmetology establishments (salons, spas, mobile businesses, schools and colleges) are subject to inspections by the Cosmetology Association of Nova Scotia. All businesses must also comply with many others, like the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Labour Standards.
To make sure you are providing a safe Cosmetology environment, the Cosmetology Association of Nova Scotia recommends you review the following:
- Guidelines for Salon and / or Spa Compliance
- Salon and / or Spa Inspection Compliance Check List
- Guidelines to Sanitation / Disinfection / Sterilization
- Guidelines for Mobile Esthetic Services
- Guidelines for Mobile Hairdressing Services
Fundamental Practices for Salons and Spas:
- Keep all required Nova Scotia Cosmetology licences and permits current, and on display in a visible loacation for the public
- Keep work areas well lit, clean and organized
- Maintain tools, implements, work surfaces and equipment in good condition
(example: no rust, cracks, etc) and keep them in clean, covered / closed containers
- Use products in a way that does not contaminate the original product
(example: a pump is used rather than fingers in jars)
- Provide clean sheets, capes, towels, robes, neck strips, etc for each client
- Use approved sanitation and disinfecting agents, and follow all MSDS directions
(There are many products on the market. Contact the Cosmetology Association of Nova Scotia
or your local supplier for approved sanitation and disinfecting agents.)
Infection Control & OHS Compliance
There are many Nova Scotia Cosmetology salon, spa and business regulations. It is your duty to get the information and have the requirements in place.
All members working with any type of chemicals are required by law to have Whmis, click here for FREE Workplace Health and Safey e-Training like WHMIS, offered by the Occupational Health and Safety Division of the Department of Labour and Advanced Education.
Contact the Cosmetology Association of Nova Scotia if you are unsure of compliance requirements with OHS for your salon / spa / school or the OHS Division .