Please note: All Education on the Road Sessions have been cancelled during COVID-19 mandated closure.
Education on the Road (more dates and locations coming soon..)
March 1& 2, 2020 - Hampton Inn, Membertou, Cape Breton.
May 24 & 25, 2020 - Rodd Grand, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.
CANS 101 - Member Focus
(information sessions during Education on the Road - other dates for information sessions can be found on this link.)
March 1, 2020 6-9 pm - Hampton Inn, Membertou Cape Breton
May 24, 2020 6-9pm - Rodd Grand, Yarmouth
Coffee & Tea and sweets will be available.
Description & Goal
The Association is the backbone of the Nova Scotia cosmetology industry. It exists to advocate cosmetology best practice for the safety of the public and industry professional. CANS invite all members to attend an information session & social to learn more about your Association and provide valuable input to help shape the direction of your industry.
Network with peers, share success and challenges, and learn of new things affecting your industry. Members will have an opportunity to meet the Executive Team and participate in a question & answer session.
If you have questions about any of the following topics, this session is for you!
- Executive Board
- Member Benefits
- Education Opportunities
- Licensing & Permits
- Salon & Spa Compliance
- Act & By Law Changes
- AGM 2020
- Opportunities to become involved
The Customer Experience
3 hour workshop Fee - $25
March 1, 2020, 9-12pm - Hampton Inn Membertou, Cape Breton
May 24, 2020, 9-12pm - Rodd Grand Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
This highly interactive training workshop provides a toolbox of skills for effectively and efficiently handling all types of customer interactions. This workshop is designed specifically for Front End Support, Receptionists and service providers. Participants will learn Customer Service Skills to improve their performance and present a professional and knowledgeable image that reflects well on your company. At the conclusion of this workshop, participants will be able to do the following:
- Describe exceptional customer service
- Identify the benefits of excellent customer service
- Understand how communication and listening skills impact customer service
- Describe techniques for dealing with challenging customers
- Develop a personal action plan to improve customer service skills
The Revenue Boost
3 hour workshop - Fee $25
March 1, 2020, 1- 4pm - Hampton Inn Membertou, Cape Breton
May 24, 2020, 1- 4pm - Rodd Grand Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
This workshop is designed to teach participants sales skills to increase both retail and service revenue. It is intended for Front End staff as well as Stylists and Estheticians. Through interactive breakout sessions and understanding a systematic sales strategy, participants will be able to do the following at the conclusion of this workshop:
- Understand why retails sales are important to the business, the staff and the customer
- Learn the difference between features and benefits and how to use this in sales
- Identify the 5 Steps in the sales process
- Describe the opportunities for upselling services
- Develop a personal action plan to increase revenue
Small Business Start Up
Full Day Class - Fee $35 - Lunch included
March 2, 2020, 9-4pm - Hampton Inn Membertou, Cape Breton
May 25, 2020, 9-4pm - Rodd Grand Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
Have you ever wanted to have your very own business but don't know where to start? If the answer is yes,this class is for you!
Salon and Spa owners may also attend.
- Registry of Joint Stock Companies - Ins and Outs
- To incorporate or not to incorporate
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Workers' Compensation
- Staff Retention